What's happening to large cities

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: What's happening to large cities

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 pm

robert. wrote:"Sadly we are burdened with a ton of electronic gadgetry that we cannot opt out of, so in my case it will just sit there never used." rufus.
I'd love to opt out of power windows, power seats. power trunk and fuel door. ever jeep wranglers come with power windows now. Way to much crap to wrong in 5-10 years.

Doubtful I'd keep anything that long. First thing to go wrong, the vehicle is gone. That's my rule. (Although I did keep my '72 Pontiac Gran Prix, even after its wipers needed replaced and the water pump needed replaced, oh, and the struts, too. But I really loved that ride! Throw a set of chains on those rear wheels and it could go through just about any snow, even uphill. Kept it 'til 1977 when I had saved up enough cash for my first Cadillac Seville - pretty but a douche.)

And as soon as a manufacturer says it's done betting on the vehicle via its warrantee, by having a date upon which the warrantee expires, I say, well, you know your car best, certainly better than I, so I am not going to say I know better and bet my well-being on it by taking a chance on getting stuck out in no-man's-land by myself with your heap. So, warrantee is up, car is gone.

The lone exception I have made is my wife's 2012 "E", which has only 2,000 miles on it. To us, that means it's new, so we take it in for required "maintenance" and love the car. Basically, it's a garage-queen.

However, at my age, this 2018 GLE (the Ml model's replacement) is probably my last vehicle for purchase. I doubt I will be launching myself across the country to that client's layout in Kansas, again, for example, I think, maybe, sorta, so I just don't need to keep getting new stuff to drive locally, plus the occasional trip into PA and/or Upstate NY.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Mitch wrote:...options and electrics and electronics. The Manufacturers say that all those options are what people really want in a car, but the truth of the matter is that the factories want them in the car 'cause they cost very little to build and install, add a great deal to the sticker price of the car, and they are horribly expensive to repair (dealership parts and labor), which keeps the Dealerships alive and well to continue selling the factory junk.

That reads like some in-the-know wisdom right there.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 pm

In some cases it seems that some little thingy that the driver/owner never uses goes bad it must be fixed r the car won't move.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Roy wrote:Murph, I presume you've been using LoJack, or some similar service.

What actual good is it? It has never been suggested to me previously, so I am completely unfamiliar. Thank you for the suggestion.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Mitch wrote:...options and electrics and electronics. The Manufacturers say that all those options are what people really want in a car, but the truth of the matter is that the factories want them in the car 'cause they cost very little to build and install, add a great deal to the sticker price of the car, and they are horribly expensive to repair (dealership parts and labor), which keeps the Dealerships alive and well to continue selling the factory junk.

That reads like some in-the-know wisdom right there.

Indeed, and it would be a busy garage that would be in business deactivated as many of them as possible.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Roy wrote:Murph, I presume you've been using LoJack, or some similar service.

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:What actual good is it? It has never been suggested to me previously, so I am completely unfamiliar. Thank you for the suggestion.

We were speaking of carjacking, but LoJack works any way your car is stolen. As soon as you discover the car's gone, you call it in. The police get it back right away, because a locating transmitter is installed.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:46 am

Roy wrote: The police get it back right away.....

Right away is relative and dependent on its actual location, and at times, you probably don't want it back either.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Roy

Postby Roy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Right away is relative and dependent on its actual location, and at times, you probably don't want it back either.

I think having LoJack gets you a significant break on your insurance, especially if you drive a car in high demand in the chop shops, like recent Caddies.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm

I'll consider it, Roy. I'll ask the dealership about this impression of it, and I'll ask my insurance agent as we get ready to change protection from the ML to the GLE.
Thanks.
Murph

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Roy wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Right away is relative and dependent on its actual location, and at times, you probably don't want it back either.

I think having LoJack gets you a significant break on your insurance, especially if you drive a car in high demand in the chop shops, like recent Caddies.

That is what I have also heard, but have no 1st hand info on - and what brands and models are in high demand are frequently very surprising - it's not always high end vehicles but some that there are serious parts shortages happening. Supply & demand.....free enterprise!

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I'll consider it, Roy. I'll ask the dealership about this impression of it, and I'll ask my insurance agent as we get ready to change protection from the ML to the GLE.
Thanks.
Murph

P.S. I think the Benz "Embrace" system takes care of retrieval, including disabling the car. I'll ask about more of that when I pick up the new car.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:14 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I'll consider it, Roy. I'll ask the dealership about this impression of it, and I'll ask my insurance agent as we get ready to change protection from the ML to the GLE.
Thanks.
Murph

P.S. I think the Benz "Embrace" system takes care of retrieval, including disabling the car. I'll ask about more of that when I pick up the new car.

Does it give free hugs?

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Thanks.
Murph

Does it give free hugs?

Yes, indeed. It hugged me two times so far, each time much appreciated.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:P.S. I think the Benz "Embrace" system takes care of retrieval, including disabling the car. I'll ask about more of that when I pick up the new car.

Does it give free hugs?

Yes, indeed. It hugged me two times so far, each time much appreciated.

Well, I hope you're not sleeping in it. :lol:

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 pm

There are stories.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”