Favorite TV shows, series, or programs? Or, TV you've hated:

Play nice and have fun...
Roy

Re: Favorite TV shows, series, or programs? Or, TV you've hated:

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 am

On NOVA this week, they're showing the around-the-world flight of the Solar Impulse 2. I enjoyed it, especially the things which were kept from us at the time.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Animals with Cameras, a Nature Miniseries. Out here, it was on at the same time as The X-Files.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Roy

Postby Roy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Last night, I saw The Gilded Age: American Experience. This is a really good program about American political history. I highly recommend it.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Roy wrote:Last night, I saw The Gilded Age: American Experience. This is a really good program about American political history. I highly recommend it.

I watched that, too, and much enjoyed it. It afforded me more info on Andrew Carnegie, and since my whole family worked in the steel mills he owned, including me, I was intrigued especially about him and his outlook. I knew about the roll J. P. Morgan played in the creation of U.S. Steel, but it was nice to have that further verified.

Homestead, featured in the story, was the town right next to mine, along the Monongahela River. We used to drive there as teenagers to get beers, since the bars there were pretty loose about serving mature-looking teenage boys.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

tarheeltracks wrote:Then came Bronson, the movie and the tv show.

Michael Parks passed away recently.

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Last night's The X-Files was a lot of fun. I missed the first few moments, but it appeared to be a nightmare of a future totally dependent on computers. There was a sushi restaurant operated entirely by robots, self-driving cars with attitudes, automated homes that were out of human control, angry drones - the whole nine yards.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:39 pm

My wife and I started to watch The X Files and made it as far as Scully making it into her uncooperative house and Mulder returning to that automated restaurant that kept his credit card because he hadn't given a tip for that deformed "fish" meal he refused to touch . (I was amazed she had shoved a red morsel of something-or-other into her mouth at that meal, by the way .) We lost interest at that point and channel-surfed away.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 pm

With the Olympics over, I really can;t find much of anything worth watching......fortunately we have this marvelous institution here called a library and its full of books that I can take home and read in the comfort of my recliner by the fireplace where I can put on a bit of music from the internet through my Kindle.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:That's the point of the Sheldon character Murph, he is a caricature of a human being who is "a bit of a broken toy". As the character of Leonard refers to him at one point.

Still watching this show with my wife, I have come to see your point, and that helps, about Sheldon. Yet, he still nauseates me totally. Could you bear to be in the company of somebody so self-centered?

In contrast, I have been much enjoying continuing to watch "Young Sheldon" and like every character in the whole story. It is a bit difficult to see how such a terrific kid would grow into such an egoist as the "Big Bang" adult-like character, but that remains to be seen , if they intend to keep the story going that long. :D

It would be very interesting to hear what Rufus and Wayne think of "Young Sheldon", if we could get them to watch it, if even just one episode.

Roger, have you seen :Young Sheldon"? It's on Thursday nights, in these parts. ("In these parts" - what am I, in a western? :roll: )

daMurph

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:39 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Could you bear to be in the company of somebody so self-centered?

Spent most of my career surrounded by people just like that......get in a meeting with a bunch of Nat'l Acad members, a Noble winner or 2, and a few WH appointees, and now you've got fun! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is a bit difficult to see how such a terrific kid would grow into such an egoist as the "Big Bang" adult-like character

No, not at all. See above.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:58 pm

Oh. And here I am thinking he was an exaggeration . :shock: :roll:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:28 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Oh. And here I am thinking he was an exaggeration . :shock: :roll:

Not at all. And that character is actually better than those in real life - many in real life are openly malignant & abusive maniacs that believe & save their press clippings and have entire rooms set aside for their awards.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:56 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Oh. And here I am thinking he was an exaggeration . :shock: :roll:

Not at all. And that character is actually better than those in real life - many in real life are openly malignant & abusive maniacs that believe & save their press clippings and have entire rooms set aside for their awards.

Yes but when they converse with others, do they only speak about themselves and what they need and want, like Sheldon? If so, I should think that would get pretty tiresome, and not lead to loyal and lasting friendships.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Yes but when they converse with others, do they only speak about themselves and what they need and want, like Sheldon? If so, I should think that would get pretty tiresome, and not lead to loyal and lasting friendships.

They never miss an opportunity for self-promotion - these people rarely have loyal and lasting friendships. Competitors fear them for what they can do with their funding and influence. A single sentence from a podium or a question from the floor and a career, a project, a clinical trial, etc, can be killed. It's all about me, me, me, me with these people. It's the rare ones that are good people - the competitive process, trials & tribulations to get anywhere for many years now has pretty much weeded out being otherwise

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Murph,
I watch both Young Sheldon and Older Sheldon. My wife likes YS and only watches OS because I do.
I remember a few like YS and at least one like OS in my teaching. I think YS has been interesting
so far because it has involved the whole family. Granma is a hoot and I knew one like her too.
I watch Big Bang mostly to see how OS will be handled by the rest of the cast. I may be wrong but
I think the original idea was to have not one star but several. Notice the cast listing. IMHO an
interesting group of characters.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:28 pm

The local PBS station has been showing episodes of Penelope Kieth's Hidden Villages and Penelope Kieth On Her Majestie's Service. Interesting if you have an interest in the trivia of English History. Along the way she rides in a sailplane, the Queen's rowing barge, a Viking ship, a paddlewheel steamer, a race car, a sidecar and a steam excursion train.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”