Kidhood. Adolescence?Best times? Favorite times? Photos?

Play nice and have fun...
Roy

Re: Kidhood. Adolescence?Best times? Favorite times? Photos?

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:20 am

HONDO74 wrote:Things started to change in California with the build up for the Vietnam was and the 65 Watts riots. Several guys I went to school with were killed in Vietnam. In the fall of 64 I got my draft notice. It was almost like a school Reunion that day. Because I had valley fever at the time I was reclassified 1Y. The day I was there was just like in the movie Alice's Restaurant.

And my last stop that day was the group W bench :lol: Just because I had a medical condition that the army didn't want to deal with.

I'm glad you didn't have to go to Vietnam.

I asked about the Filipinos, because I heard a Beach Boys tune that made some fun of the sound of their accent. It's stuck in my head, but I don't know the name of the song.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:14 am

Don't recall if I posted this, but here's one of my Christmas presents (1954?):

rocket trike retouched 1954.jpg
rocket trike retouched 1954.jpg (243.27 KiB) Viewed 4320 times

Have no clue as to what happened to it, but it was almost all metal, few plastic parts back then (3D printing wasn't even in anyone's vocabulary).

The name on it was SPACE CRUISER.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Roy

Postby Roy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 am

Cool. Those rear fenders add a bit of Art Deco appeal.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Very nice. Where in the neighborhood were you allowed to ride it?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:09 am

I've never seen anything like that, but it would be worth a fortune today. That is really neat!!

BH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 pm

BobD, That Rocket Trike must have moved you to the top, or continued the confirmation of your place at the top, of the list of the really, really cool kids in your neighborhood. I imagine they must have all cheered and howled in awe when you pulled put of the house in that exceptional beauty!

And I notice that the lady sharing the moment with you appears to be wearing one of those "chenille" robes so popular then, seemingly made of the same material as some bedspreads, which made the wearer all the more hug-able. Right? :D
Murph
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Looks to me like she's sending a text-message...can you reconfirm the date on that pic, lol?

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 pm

healey36 wrote:Looks to me like she's sending a text-message...can you reconfirm the date on that pic, lol?

?!?!?! LOL, I tried to enlarge the photo but can't tell what is in her hand.

That's my Welsh mom by the way. At the time we lived in a neighborhood built during the war to house shipyard workers. The houses were suppose to be temporary, but lasted well beyond their limit. For the most part they're all gone now but I think there may still be one or two of them still standing. The golf course I work at is right there so if I get some spare time I may ride thru and see if there's any still around.

We did have sidewalks to ride on, but we had an old lady that would throw tacks down to pop your tires :shock: , guess she didn't like the kids enjoying themselves.

If you look closely you can see the tail of our dog Sambo, my dad said he was an Eskimo Spitz, but I don't recall him having long hair.

Life was much simpler back then. Nowadays we have too many choices that seem to make things more complicated than they need be.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:....
Life was much simpler back then. Nowadays we have too many choices that seem to make things more complicated than they need be.

Isn't that the truth. Even religion has become more complicated than it needs to be, with the whole world wondering what will be ISIS's next target, to say the least. A cathedral? The pope? The Louvre? The Taj Mahal? The forests of the American Northwest? The farmlands of the Midwest? ISIS militants, who purport to be authentic religious zealots (my terminology for it) have already destroyed ancient Babylonian artifacts from their own culture and an ancient Buddhist sculpture that was carved into a hillside hundreds of years ago. What do these so-called "Moslems" derive from all their mayhem and evil? Good religion? Authenticity?

Yes, that is all more complicated than it needs - or should - be.
IMHO (anybody with me on this?)

MYmoo

Postby MYmoo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:....

Isn't that the truth. Even religion has become more complicated than it needs to be, with the whole world wondering what will be ISIS's next target, to say the least. A cathedral? The pope? The Louvre? The Taj Mahal? The forests of the American Northwest? The farmlands of the Midwest? ISIS militants, who purport to be authentic religious zealots (my terminology for it) have already destroyed ancient Babylonian artifacts from their own culture and an ancient Buddhist sculpture that was carved into a hillside hundreds of years ago. What do these so-called "Moslems" derive from all their mayhem and evil? Good religion? Authenticity?

Yes, that is all more complicated than it needs - or should - be.
IMHO (anybody with me on this?)

Murph,

I don't know.
MY NSHO: ...I am more concerned with the '...zealots'(your term.), some, who wear RED Baseball Caps (MY addition), who have, and are trying to disassemble the U.S. of America.

{Grandma says. "Spelling helps, too.")
(...if you are referring to 'religion'.) :wink:
-------------------------
-----
Unplug When Done.
-----
Peace,

MYron R. MOOre

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 am

That, too, MYmoo, and we would have to add to the complicated pile all those "hoodies" and "homies" who would much rather bum-rush a store to run out with stolen merchandise, or attack the nearest vulnerable person on the street (often of a particular "different" race than their own), or complain that what's happened to them is everybody else's fault but theirs, instead of having worked in school to help build a productive life for themselves.

(Phew! Now that was a windy sentence! :oops: And long, too! :roll: :shock: )
Have I said too much? :? :wink:
Murph

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”