Favorite Books

Play nice and have fun...
Tom Dempsey

Re: Favorite Books

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:14 pm

I really like "Mote" and also "Lucifer's Hammer" which came out about the same time.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Alastair Reynolds

Revelation Space
Chasm City
Redemption Ark
Absolution Gap
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:47 pm

rex desilets wrote:Oh, Wayne. Only 2 stars for "Mote?" Despite what the godfather said? I think you're carrying iconoclasm a bit too far :mrgreen:

Also, did you read the math book cover to cover? I doff my chapeau to you :roll:

Yes I did, started it the summer of 1974 when we had 10 consecutive days with temperatures above 110 °F. It was a good time to stay indoors with a good book. Took three months to go through it. There are many things I never understood, like the use of the logical "not" symbol, "~", in 1 ~ 1 = 2. The logic reads, "One not one equals two." All the authors attempting to help the student with this work of Whitehead and Russell simply write, 1 + 1 = 2. Not helpful! Why did Whitehead and Russell use "not" for "+"? I was not the only one to struggle with the notation. Kurt Gödel was harshly critical of the notation.

The Pp propositions (propositions assumed without proof) also bothered me as incredibly lazy. I think they defeated the whole purpose of the work.

"Mote?" Come on! "Humanity is slowly recovering from an interstellar civil war that tore apart the first Empire of Man." A worn out theme in science fiction. The aliens are decribed as, " brown and white furred creatures." Too cute for me. Or are they? Pretending to be peaceable creatures, they have a "beam" in their eye... they war with each other. Oops... I gave away the inane plot.
Last edited by webenda on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:52 pm

webenda wrote: I gave away the inane plot.

No, there's a bit of twist that you left out............
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 pm

What? The blockade of the Alderson exit point, leaving the greatest threat humanity has ever faced, Furry Moties, to multiply and take over the universe by annihilating humans? That war would be in Outies or The Gripping Hand?

I don't think you are referring to the protostar is forming in the Coalsack Nebula that might have an Alderson exit point.

I often forget about (or miss) important twists in plots, even in books that are interesting. Maybe I missed something big in this one?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:35 pm

You forgot, amonst other things, the warrior Moties.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Motie warriors, more deadly than any human? Do not see that as a twist.

Moties have three arms? Trying to remember a twist. Moties can mimic our speech and sound like any one of us?
Last edited by webenda on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Clive Barker, Weave World,,
Bradbury, Illustrated Man,
Kesey, Demon Box,
Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume.
Pichkal, Various Huxley and Uncle Fester.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 pm

aterry11 wrote:Clive Barker, Weave World,,

I was thinking of that one from Barker a few weeks ago, wondering about re-reading it.

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Alright, I cheated. James Nicoll says, "The big twist is family planning for the Moties." Seriously? No wonder I missed it.
Reference: http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/man-versus-motie
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 pm

webenda wrote:Alright, I cheated.

10 demerits

BTW, I actually think far more highly of Niven's other books in the "Known Space" universe, such as Ringworld....

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 pm

This is getting pretty esoteric , isn't it. Cool.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:08 am

With regards to automobiles, pick up a copy of Alan Clark's Back Fire...a collection of essays of much that is important in the world of the motor-head.

Clark, despite being the scurrilous cad that he was, wrote some fine books.

Healey

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:34 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:This is getting pretty esoteric , isn't it. Cool.

Niven:

Ringworld
Protector
World of Ptaavs

James S. A. Corey

The Expanse books:

Leviathan Wakes
Caliban's War
Abaddon's Gate
Cibola Burn
Nemesis Games

Big Jim

Postby Big Jim » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:42 am

rex desilets wrote:George:
"Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors." Absolutely. In fact, the episode is something of a fetish with me. There is quite a bit of other literature on the subject including the official USN version. Plus a documentary on the old Military Channel.

What an heroic story! I saw the documentary and that compelled me to buy the book.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”