WAITING FOR THE TRAIN

Play nice and have fun...
Roy

Re: WAITING FOR THE TRAIN

Postby Roy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:24 pm

robert. wrote:Train stations in Filthydelphia are things of disgust. You require a shower after waiting 10 minutes. even the rats wont live there

Why are folks pissing on walls? Don't they have restrooms in the station?
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Roy wrote:
robert. wrote:Train stations in Filthydelphia are things of disgust. You require a shower after waiting 10 minutes. even the rats wont live there

They're marking territory?

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Roy wrote:

They were hired to test the new Urine Repellent Walls?
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm

rogruth wrote:Roy,
I appreciate the beautiful station photos. I don't think many stations in the U.S. were as attractive but many were as large.
More please.

Grand Central Terminal, New York City, New York, USA
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 pm

What is amazing to me is that Mr. Vanderbilt plopped the whole station right in the middle of Park Avenue and constructed the roadway right up to it, raised the roadway upward (2nd floor-ish), and continued it around the beautiful station, and back down the other side. The NY Central tracks are under Park Avenue, still there, with their own venting and unobstructed passageway. Now, that was MONEY talkin' !

The Vanderbilt homes were equally as impressive, esp. the largest home in the USA, Biltmore, and The Breakwater Mansion, too!!!!.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 am

People get mugged in restrooms, They do drugs and have prostitution there too. Some are flat out to lazy to look for a restroom. Other restrooms are closed or none working. Septa's rail fleet lacks restrooms.After a two hour bouncy ride where are you to go. Most of the smaller stations have been shuttered and replaced by a raised platforms. You may have viewed some of our local stations in your lifetime. Ranalph Bye has made them iconic in watercolors.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 am

New Hope Station by Ranulph Bye
Attachments
New Hope Station by Ranulph Bye.jpg
New Hope Station by Ranulph Bye.jpg (60.15 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:11 am

According to the description of the video, the driver of the small truck was "sitting on the pavement opposite to the rail," and didn't do anything when he heard the horn.

This accident took place in Hanoi, Vietnam, when somebody was careless enough to park their vehicle way too close to the tracks. By the time they even reacted to what was happening, it was too late to do anything about it.

And That's Why We Never Park Too Close To Train Tracks.

Reference: https://youtu.be/pjuPpVLXDQg
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Yes, the inevitable conclusion of an existing red zone violation.

Roy

Postby Roy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:44 pm

robert. wrote:People get mugged in restrooms, They do drugs and have prostitution there too. Some are flat out to lazy to look for a restroom. Other restrooms are closed or none working. Septa's rail fleet lacks restrooms.After a two hour bouncy ride where are you to go. Most of the smaller stations have been shuttered and replaced by a raised platforms. You may have viewed some of our local stations in your lifetime. Ranalph Bye has made them iconic in watercolors.

Ya know, this isn't rocket science. You have to have safe restroom facilities in stations and on trains. Pacific Electric had restrooms on cars for trips over an hour. What is wrong with these people responsible for trains in Philadelphia?

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm

If it's anything like San Diego, it's run by career civil servants who specialize in bus systems. They don't have a clue about rail travel.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:If it's anything like San Diego, it's run by career civil servants who specialize in bus systems. They don't have a clue about rail travel.

That would be an improvement!

The City of Philadelphia appoints two members: one member is appointed by the Mayor, the other by the City Council President. These two board members can veto any item that is approved by the full SEPTA board because the city represents more than two-thirds of SEPTA's local subsidy, fare revenue, and ridership. However, the veto may be overridden with the vote of at least 75% of the full board within 30 days.
Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County, and Montgomery County appoint two members each. These members are appointed by the county commissioners in Bucks, Chester, and Montgomery County and by the county council in Delaware County.
The majority and minority leaders of the two houses of the Pennsylvania State Legislature (the Senate and the House of Representatives) appoint one member each, for a total of four members.
The governor appoints one member.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Roy

Postby Roy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm

I just want to bitchslap Philadelphia. That's not the way to run a railroad, and it's train stations. :evil:

chuck

Postby chuck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 pm

When they built Grand Central terminal Park Avenue was nothing like what you see today. The rail yards were open to the sky and the streets and Avenues were on "stilts" above them. The railroad made a boatload of money selling the air rights over the yard. The Pan Am ne Met Life building was built over an open span between the main terminal building at the south end of the complex and the New York Central building at the north end.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Yes, Chuck, and once they covered over the tracks, weren't particularly-designed electric locomotives invented to eliminate the suffocating effects of copious smoke from steam locomotives traveling underground along those Park Avenue (New York Central?) tracks ?

And I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, perhaps, across town , westward , at Penn Station, the PRR created the GG1 to afford that railroad a cleaner and more pleasant run under the river from NJ into Manhattan (?)
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”