Favorite Movies

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Favorite Movies

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:33 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
rogruth wrote:I must keep mouth shut. :D

Why. nobody else keeps their mouth shut. :mrgreen:

I like to read what everyone has to say. That's what the Club Car Lounge is for. :D We don't all have to have the same opinion for it to be enjoyable. :) :) :)

I have to say, I agree with you, Hondo, because I didn't understand why you wrote that, Roger, and was sure I must have been missing something when I noticed you concluded with a smiling-face, Roger. What happened? Did I mis-speak?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:38 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
rogruth wrote:I must keep mouth shut. :D

Why. nobody else keeps their mouth shut. :mrgreen:

I like to read what everyone has to say. That's what the Club Car Lounge is for. :D We don't all have to have the same opinion for it to be enjoyable. :) :) :)

I have to say, I agree with you, Hondo, because I didn't understand why you wrote that, Roger, and was sure I must have been missing something when I noticed you concluded with a smiling-face, Roger. What happened? Did I mis-speak?

I don't have any idea why Roger said that. I was just teasing him about saying it. My thoughts were that we all speak our mind and yet we all seem to get along. I always try to dwell of what we have in common and not the differences. I know that many times the words I choose in saying something can be interpreted differently than what I actually mean.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:51 pm

E7 wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
E7 wrote:I'm holding out for Aliens #45.

Which will be out before to awfully long at the rate they are going.

alien: 1979
aliens: 1986
aliens 3: 1992
alien resurrection: 1997
Prometheus: 2012
Alien: Covenant 2017

38 years to get 6 movies. Somehow I don't believe I will be around to see Aliens #45. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I'm saying in an indirect way is, that after so many sequels, there can't be that much new left to say.

I think there was also an Alien vs Predator flick.

The reason I didn't include Alien vs Predator, is because it was not considered part of the Alien series.

If Hollywood thinks they can make some more money off of it they will continue to milk it. I thought Aliens was just as good as Alien, But then it went downhill. Kind of like planet of the apes. And now Disney is going to milk Star Wars as long as they can.

But then it does keep a lot of people employed. And now China wants in on the action. Its getting too expensive to make movies in Hollywood.
http://fortune.com/2016/11/04/china-bil ... hollywood/

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 pm

I realy meant to keep m mouth shut about sequels.
It seems to me that the first of a group must have done well or a sequel wouldn't be made.
Without details, it seems that each following sequel loses something and seems to exist,
as they all do, just to make money for somebody. Many do nothing to add to the story
One example. Scarlett, the sequel to Gone With The Wind. With most of the original actors
it may have had a chance. But most were dead. Why did someone even think this was needed.
As you can see,I am just rambling and need to keep my mouth shut. :D :D :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:42 am

rogruth wrote:I realy meant to keep m mouth shut about sequels.
It seems to me that the first of a group must have done well or a sequel wouldn't be made.
Without details, it seems that each following sequel loses something and seems to exist,
as they all do, just to make money for somebody. Many do nothing to add to the story
One example. Scarlett, the sequel to Gone With The Wind. With most of the original actors
it may have had a chance. But most were dead. Why did someone even think this was needed.
As you can see,I am just rambling and need to keep my mouth shut. :D :D :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

No No No Roger, Keep rambling as you call it. This is what makes the thread more interesting plus some of us might learn something new that we didn't know. It is all for fun and entertainment.

For Hollywood with the movies it is all about making money. Sometimes they make money and sometimes they lose money.

How about Disney's "The Lone Ranger" It lost a lot of money. For me what killed it was that they gave Johnny Depp to much creativity with it. He made a lot of money for Disney with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies so they gave him a free hand with the Lone Ranger. Just my opinion of course..... :lol:

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:15 am

Hondo,
I agree. I do not understand the fascination with Depp. I think his movies are rather boring. That should have been called the
"The Raving Tonto". He was also in "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" with a silly part that added nothing to the story. All of his
parts could be cut and the only change would be a shorter, more watchable movie. There are too many movies like this today.
Obviously my opinion.

Slightly different tack. I am "sick and tired" of a bunch of overpaid actors with limited talent trying to affect my, and others,
social and political views when most of them know less about the world than the average poster on MTJ. I suspect that the
average MTJ poster may not be as financially well off as most actors but are well ahead of them in the thinking department.
I would rather meet and spend some time with almost any MTJ poster than some actor/actress.
Now I must admit that I might rather enjoy looking at some of the actresses more.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:33 am

HONDO74 wrote: If Hollywood thinks they can make some more money off of it they will continue to milk it. I thought Aliens was just as good as Alien, But then it went downhill.

It's the rare series that can sustain itself with good movies and even if the 1st sequel is just as good as the 1st movie, that's often not good enough since the sequels are always compared back to the 1st very subjectively.

As for the Alien franchise, got to have Sigourney Weaver or it's a loss.

Kind of like planet of the apes.

There's a good example of sequels going downhill really fast from what was not that high a starting pojnt to begin with....and then let's start the whole thing over again -- Hollywood unable to be bothered to come up a new idea or make use of any of the great stories down the street in the library that have never been put to film - serious rick avoidance, too.

And now Disney is going to milk Star Wars as long as they can.

Well, for what that cost them to obtain, they almost have to get that cash cow bottled up - what's the take on Rogue 1? It's already grossed over a billion....... Pretty good cow!

But then it does keep a lot of people employed. And now China wants in on the action. Its getting too expensive to make movies in Hollywood.

Getting? A lot moved to Canada years ago -- filming in the US just got too expensive.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41 am

For Hollywood with the movies it is all about making money. Sometimes they make money and sometimes they lose money.

Well, yes. There never really was any other reason - and even when they lose money, they find a way to recover it eventually.

How about Disney's "The Lone Ranger" It lost a lot of money. For me what killed it was that they gave Johnny Depp to much creativity with it. He made a lot of money for Disney with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies so they gave him a free hand with the Lone Ranger. Just my opinion of course..... :lol:

He's made a lot of very good movies and a few real stinkers. I think very few actors avoid making stinkers. I think that some of the blame might sit with Bruckheimer Films on this one as well as with Depp

Lone Ranger grossed $260.5 million worldwide against an estimated $225 million production budget, and an additional $150 million marketing budget, but that's the short term accounting and it lives on to continue to make money.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:45 am

rogruth wrote: "Once Upon A Time In Mexico"

That entire movie, a sequel to El Mariachi and Desperado, was silly.

Cast:

Antonio Banderas
Salma Hayek
Johnny Depp
Mickey Rourke
Eva Mendes
Danny Trejo
Enrique Iglesias
Marco Leonardi
Cheech Marin
Rubén Blades
Willem Dafoe

Redeeming features were provided by Selma Hayek as she did in From Dusk till Dawn :mrgreen:

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:19 am

I love me some Selma Hayek :D

He was also in "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" with a silly part that added nothing to the story. All of his
parts could be cut and the only change would be a shorter, more watchable movie.

Fully agree. His "acting" is mainly being himself, sad. Charlie Sheen has more acting ability than Depp, at least Sheen knows he's just being himself and has a sense of humor.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 am

Depp lives in France, hates the United States. His claim to fame in the beginning was he could do all kinds of goofy tricks.
I get my TV from a antenna on the roof, no cable and here 5.3 and 13.3 have movies all the time. Quite a few are pretty good , some are old classics, but many you think, who thought it was a good idea to make this movie

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:53 am

Depp is a very strange dude to say the least and seems to be in his element in roles that allows him to dress up, wear a lot of make-up and be some fantasy character. Was Edward Scissor Hands his first movie?

BH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:19 pm

up148 wrote:Depp............Was Edward Scissor Hands his first movie?

Don't think so - I seem to recall him in other stuff earlier - he was in Platoon but I think something else earlier yet

I remember him in other stuff like Ninth Gate, Donny Brasco, and Black Mass playing Whitey Bulger - he does a lot of stuff all over the range of topics - far from just costumes and makeup.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:52 pm

I just looked up his movie and TV acting list and I guess I'm only remembering movies when he played outrageous characters, which he does very well. It appears I've only seen about 2-3% of his movies and never watched "21 jump street". He is a prolific actor.

BH

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 pm

up148 wrote:Depp is a very strange dude to say the least and seems to be in his element in roles that allows him to dress up, wear a lot of make-up and be some fantasy character. Was Edward Scissor Hands his first movie? BH

"A Nightmare On Elm Street"

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”