Favorite Movies

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Favorite Movies

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Thank you, Wayne, for all that information. You sure know how to add meaningfully to a conversation. :D murph

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:24 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I had difficulty with "Castaway," right from the start. His relationship with the soccerball was just too far fetched, for me, and I have a pretty healthy thirst for "suspending disbelief". It turned me off to the whole rest of the movie, for some darnreason. :? Murph

I don't find it too farfetched that someone alone would start talking to himself or to inanimate objects.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:31 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Roger and George, I thank you for that information about the locations involved in the telling of "The Deer Hunter." I had thought, from visual impressions while I watched the movie, that Pennsylvania towns such as Clairton , Munhall, or possibly Aliquippa , and similar mill-towns may have been the venues for some of the shots, such as the wedding, where the wine gets spilled on the bride's dress.I thought the deer hunt itself took place in Ligoneer, PA.
?Murph?

Ligoneer? I would be shocked to learn that. I think the mountains are too steep, too rocky, to shear to be the Alleghenys. It looked as if the hunting scenes were filmed in the Rockies.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:19 pm

G3750 wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I had difficulty with "Castaway," right from the start. His relationship with the soccerball was just too far fetched, for me, and I have a pretty healthy thirst for "suspending disbelief". It turned me off to the whole rest of the movie, for some darnreason. :? Murph

I don't find it too farfetched that someone alone would start talking to himself or to inanimate objects.

George

Talking is one thing, but endangering ones life to save a ball is too nuts. For a story/movie to be good, to me, it has to have some believability , and that one strains credulity too much. I just stopped caring about him, as a result. I'm not sure what its goal was. What do you say it was, George? Did it succeed?

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:30 pm

rex desilets wrote:A recent one: "Risen." Not big on religious mythology, but it's a powerful exemplar of the Resurrection...."

Hi Rex, By very pleasant serendipity, I happened to catch "Risen" last night on TV. I'm glad you put me onto it. Such an interesting perspective on The Resurrection. Unusual. And those three moments involving: The Shroud; The Crown; a Nail; the Tribune coming face-to-face with Him, all jaw-dropping. Thank you. Very much.
Murph

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:33 am

healey36 wrote:Rush was a good movie, but alot of CGI for action. Grand Prix was the real deal with many of the professional drivers from the circus appearing. You can catch Graham Hill, Phil Hill and others if you watch closely. Nobody IMHO filmed automobiles like Frankenheimer...Ronin with De Niro is another brilliant example. In a number of his movies cars were his featured actors.

Healy, Suggest you check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_(1966_film) Frankenheimer was the director, and I don't think he "filmed" anything. From what I read about the two films, I think they BOTH used ALL the technology available at the times of their filming, so as that goes, it's six of one, half dozen of another. They are BOTH state of the art for their respective times, and both GREAT films with Rush being a bit more myopic and closer to fact, while Grand Prix was a more "stylized" portrayal of multiple characters. I subscribed to "Road & Track" back then, and the first thing I turned to was Rob Walker's monthly column on the "Circus". Somewhere along the way, my interest just faded away along with the passing of many of the competitors.

Rich

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:49 am

it's six of one, half dozen of another.

Or as I heard a British sportscaster say....Six and Two 3s.

He also said "That's hard cheese", after a rider fell off his mount in a steeplechase event.

BobD
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:37 am

G3750 wrote:I don't find it too farfetched that someone alone would start talking to himself or to inanimate objects.

Pretty commonplace behavior round here, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:29 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
G3750 wrote:I don't find it too farfetched that someone alone would start talking to himself or to inanimate objects.

You're probably nuts if you don't. :D :D
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:24 am

"Hey! Don't come selling 'crazy' here. We're all stocked up." :lol:

—Katy Faust

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:16 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me? You gotta be talkin' to me cause there ain't no one else here..............Robert De Niro paraphrased from "Taxi Driver"

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:17 pm

I've just watched "Thelma and Louise", again, and was reminded of the excellent characterization and the subtle, accurate acting. The storyline was unique, too, wasn't it.

I would submit, for your approval, movie fans, that it was the men in their lives that destroyed them,
Murph
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:35 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me? You gotta be talkin' to me cause there ain't no one else here..............Robert De Niro paraphrased from "Taxi Driver"

"Hey! I'm walkin' here! I'm walkin' here!"

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:46 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
G3750 wrote:

George

Talking is one thing, but endangering ones life to save a ball is too nuts. For a story/movie to be good, to me, it has to have some believability , and that one strains credulit too much. I just stopped caring about him, as a result. I'm not sure what its goal was. What do you say it was, George? Did it succeed?

i think the goal of the soccer ball (no pun intended :wink: ) was to demonstrate just how stir crazy the character had gone. It also served as a theatrical device to help Hanks convey the hero's emotions, reactions and state of mind. Otherwise you're dealing with the first 30 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. That's a long time for an actor, even somebody as good as Hanks, to carry a scene unaided without dialogue.

And yes I think it worked, at least for me.

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:52 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I've just watched "Thelma and Louise", again, and was reminded of the excellent characterization and the subtle, accurate acting. The storyline was unique, too, wasn't it.
Murph

I agree with your accolades for the film, but the ending strained my willingness to suspend disbelief.

Hey, we just defeated all these bad guys who wanted to put us down so now we're going to drive off a cliff. And we're not idealistic 14 year olds with hormonal imbalances, either.

Sorry, no sale.

—Katy Faust

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”