Favorite Movies

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: Favorite Movies

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Don't know where you've been for the last 50 years, but it's always been about politics and is every year; for example you might remember Sacheen Littlefeather refusing to accept the Best Actor award on behalf of Marlon Brando for The Godfather....in 1973.

Sacheen Littlefeather was a native American actress. Brando's refusal of the award was for the treatment of native Americans by the film industry. Don't recall that it had anything to do with the President of the USA. Just politics within the film industry. From all the westerns that I watched as a child. Hollywood usually treated the Indians as the bad guys and they used white actors and actresses to portray native Americans.

Marlon Brando didn't have a problem in 72 with the film "Last Tango in Paris" as a 48 year old taking advantage of a young 19 year old actress Maria Schneider when he had her naked face down on the floor and put butter on he butt and performed a sex act on her.

Controversial rape scene
The film contains a scene in which Brando's character engages in anal rape using butter as a lubricant. In a 2006 interview, Schneider said that the scene was not in the script and that "when they told me, I had a burst of anger. Woo! I threw everything. And nobody can force someone to do something not in the script. But I didn't know that. I was too young". In 2007, Schneider recounted feelings of sexual humiliation pertaining to the rape scene:

They only told me about it before we had to film the scene and I was so angry. I should have called my agent or had my lawyer come to the set because you can't force someone to do something that isn't in the script, but at the time, I didn't know that. Marlon said to me: 'Maria, don't worry, it's just a movie', but during the scene, even though what Marlon was doing wasn't real, I was crying real tears. I felt humiliated and to be honest, I felt a little raped, both by Marlon and by Bertolucci. After the scene, Marlon didn't console me or apologise. Thankfully, there was just one take.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:22 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Don't recall that it had anything to do with the President of the USA. Just politics within the film industry.

Politics is politics and regardless of the reason the awards shows have had some political bent to them for many decades - despite his desire for it to be so, not everything is about the President.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
We don't have the power in us to go through the whole rigmarole of selling, packing,

I can't imagine what it would be like to have to take down that fabulous layout that you have spent so many hours of love and labor building. That would be heartbreaking.

Moving at this point would be horrific. Yet, I know several folks now that have packed it all in, sold off everything or arein the process of selling everything, tearing it all down, and moving to a retirement community or housing.

Carry on as long as you can, Murph!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Oh, I be carryin' on, all right.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Savannah has a reputation of being a good town for tourists and it may be, My wife and I used to attend Savannah Symphony concerts. We would go early, park in front of the Civic Center and walk @ a mile to eat dinner before the concert. It would be dark when we walked back to the concert.
Unfortunately the Symphony went bankrupt and a of course we stopped attending most events at the C.C. A new orchestra was eventually formed and is called the Savannah Philharmonic. We have not attended any of their concerts mostly because we do not feel very safe in downtown Savannah.At least one shooting a day is reported with injuries. So sad for the town.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:57 pm

rogruth wrote:Savannah has a reputation of being a good town for tourists and it may be, My wife and I used to attend Savannah Symphony concerts.

We liked Savannah. But, maybe now I shouldn't bother returning?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:Savannah has a reputation of being a good town for tourists and it may be, My wife and I used to attend Savannah Symphony concerts.

We liked Savannah. But, maybe now I shouldn't bother returning?

Most don't have a problem. We are too close.
roger

I support thread drift.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Since most of us were born a lot of things have changed in this country. I can remember as a child (8,9,10)being allowed to go to the Saturday matinees by myself and I walked to the theater. This was in Kansas City Mo. I don't even like to go to KC or St Louis. :(

And for a quarter it got you in and a bag of popcorn and a coke.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 pm

Here is a new trailer for Alien: Covenant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:55 am

I'm holding out for Aliens #45.

Which will be out before to awfully long at the rate they are going.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 am

For me, a movie becomes favorite or cherished if it:

+involves me emotionally, right away, and keeps hold of me, despite my knowing I am "suspending disbelief,"
+takes me somewhere I have never been and will likely never go.
+it shows me something I could not have made-up myself (like that ship and creature in the first "Alien".)
+it has moments that actually make my mouth fall open in amazement.
+it makes me smile. Often and a lot.
+it touches my soul to the extent that I am brought to being on the edge of being emotional (ex. "The Passion of The Christ").
+it deeply and intimately informs me about something of which I have little or no firsthand personal knowledge or experience (ex. "Patton"; "Apocalypse, Now"}.
+human courage or kindness moves me.
+the key figure is amazing and memorable (ex. "Now, Voyager".)
+spectacular (ex. "Lawrence of Arabia"; "Doctor Zhivago," both of which satisfy several additional characteristics previously mentioned, above.)
+fun, and lots of it.
+it makes me laugh, aplenty.
+an aspect, or the entire story, authentically infuriates me, sickens, or revolts me, enough that it makes me shudder or curl my lip whenever I think of it again (ex. the character, Scarlett, in "Gone With The Wind," for her total self-absorption and vapid self-love. I actually cheered out loud when Rhett said, "Frankly, my dear , I don't..." !!).
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Well said, Murph.
I must keep mouth shut. :D
roger

I support thread drift.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:45 pm

E7 wrote:I'm holding out for Aliens #45.

alien: 1979
aliens: 1986
aliens 3: 1992
alien resurrection: 1997
Prometheus: 2012
Alien: Covenant 2017

38 years to get 6 movies. Somehow I don't believe I will be around to see Aliens #45. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 pm

rogruth wrote:I must keep mouth shut. :D

Why. nobody else keeps their mouth shut. :mrgreen:

I like to read what everyone has to say. That's what the Club Car Lounge is for. :D We don't all have to have the same opinion for it to be enjoyable. :) :) :)

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:28 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
E7 wrote:I'm holding out for Aliens #45.

alien: 1979
aliens: 1986
aliens 3: 1992
alien resurrection: 1997
Prometheus: 2012
Alien: Covenant 2017

38 years to get 6 movies. Somehow I don't believe I will be around to see Aliens #45. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I'm saying in an indirect way is, that after so many sequels, there can't be that much new left to say.

I think there was also an Alien vs Predator flick.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”