Yeah, that ought to work!

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Yeah, that ought to work!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:32 pm

up148 wrote:I believe this would work well for the Krell on planet Altair IV, but might need to be a little wider at the bottom.

So that's where Kim Kardashian is from...........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Aaahhhh, there, I have my answer. Brilliant!

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:12 pm

rogruth wrote:Wayne,
How did you figure that out?

Roger,

Searching to answer Roy's question
Roy wrote:What's the track gauge on that rolling Toblerone?

led to the truth.

Edit 1: Change "lead" to past tense, "led."
Last edited by webenda on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 am

Union Pacific's Nuclear Locomotive idea.

The collection of NIMBYS, BANANAS, and other assorted weepies with tremendous political clout and little or no brains have effectively stymied the use of nuclear power for anything, despite the proven safety of such power and the equally proven reduction in greenhouse gasses and global warming associated with a switch to nuclear power. Go figure.

--Jamie

Reference: http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/88192.aspx
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 am

GM Aerotrain--small engine pulling a bunch of GM bus bodies on rails.

The Aerotrain was a streamlined trainset introduced by General Motors Electro-Motive Division in the mid-1950s. Like all of GM's body designs of this mid-century era, this train was first brought to life in GM's Styling Section. Chuck Jordan was in charge of designing the Aerotrain as Chief Designer of Special Projects. It utilized the experimental EMD LWT12 locomotive (U.S. Patent D177,814), coupled to a set of modified GM Truck & Coach Division 40-seat intercity highway bus bodies (U.S. Patent D179,006). The cars each rode on two axles with an air suspension system, which was intended to give a smooth ride, but had the opposite effect.

--Wikepedia

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerotrain_(GM)
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:18 am

Those designers certainly knew how to say "Streamlined" and "SpeeeeeeeeeeeeD" with their artwork. Amazing. Those two trains appear to be moving, huh. And quickly!

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am

The U.P. looks like it has a radiator in a radiator, with another radiator on the pilot. I don't think I'd be so excited about riding on that thing.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm

OK. I understand NIMBYs but ih this connotation what is a BANANA? Don't tell me that it is a fruit/food that monkeys and people eat, please.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:33 pm

rogruth wrote:OK. I understand NIMBYs but ih this connotation what is a BANANA? Don't tell me that it is a fruit/food that monkeys and people eat, please.

According to Google:

BANANA is an acronym for "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything" (or "Anyone"). The term is most often used to criticize the ongoing opposition of certain advocacy groups to land development.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Roy wrote:
rogruth wrote:OK. I understand NIMBYs but ih this connotation what is a BANANA? Don't tell me that it is a fruit/food that monkeys and people eat, please.

According to Google:

BANANA is an acronym for "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything" (or "Anyone"). The term is most often used to criticize the ongoing opposition of certain advocacy groups to land development.

Never heard that one before....... I may be guilty of it having bought land with the sole intention of not having neighbors, :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Southern Pacific's Krauss-Maffei diesels were delivered with the exahaust stack exits well below the top deck of the locomotives. It was found that the exhaust was short cycling under the hoods into the intake pipes of the engines. Southern Pacific's solution was to add a spacer which placed the exhaust stacks and their butterfly doors above the top of the hood. This created a new problem, the taller stacks did not stay centered, they hit the sides of the holes in the top of the hoods. S.P.'s solution, springs to keep the extenstions centered.

Yeah, that ought to work to keep the MD870 Maybach Mercedes-Benz 2000HP V16 diesel engines from tilting under power and banging their exahaust stacks on the holes in the hood.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:07 am

Wayne,
Did it work?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:42 am

I do not know if it worked.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:04 am

----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 am

webenda wrote:Union Pacific's Nuclear Locomotive idea.

The collection of NIMBYS, BANANAS, and other assorted weepies with tremendous political clout and little or no brains have effectively stymied the use of nuclear power for anything, despite the proven safety of such power and the equally proven reduction in greenhouse gasses and global warming associated with a switch to nuclear power. Go figure.

Totally true statement there, Wayne. As we post, Westinghouse, (world leader in design and construction of Nuclear Power Plants), is in bankruptcy court right now. :roll:

It's not like it ain't safe. Granted, there was 3 Mile Island, Chernoble, and more recently the Japanese Nuclear disaster, (caused by nature, not bad design or operation), but the advancement in electronics, particularly in the last 20 years, makes it one of the best and safest producers of electric power. The main drawback is that those plants require plenty of water, which usually means the plant is built right along the river. (But today, the realtors want to develop the river banks). I mean, think of it, most of the U.S.Naval fleet is nuclear powered, and we haven't had a problem, (that we know of) since the Thresher and the Scorpion incidents back in the '60s.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”