Tractor Thread

Play nice and have fun...
healey36

Re: Tractor Thread

Postby healey36 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:32 am

Finding a competent saw sharpener is getting to be a challenge. The two guys I used in the past (and my father before me) have both cashed out and are setting teeth for St. Peter now. My best hand saw, a Disston that belonged to my father-in-law, is in dire need of a sharpening...

Healey

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:09 am

It 's even harder to find a quality file to last through the whole filing process. Today's cheap files can't stand up to yesterday's harden metals. You can file it. Tough part is getting the set right. If a tooth is stuck out to far the blade bind or kink. read this an give it a try.
http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html
they say a ton of black locust or osage burns hotter then a ton of coal. Both are great for making recuve bows.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:48 am

robert. wrote:they say a ton of black locust or osage burns hotter then a ton of coal. Both are great for making recuve bows.

Would not surprise me; I think that the locust might be denser than coal, too! :lol:

Nature's pressure treated wood; my woodshed and tractor shed are locust pole construction sunk directly into the dirt - better than 50 years now on the wood shed and pushing 40 on the tractor shed. Still rock hard.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Over the weekend i found some time to get after the cider press. This is more of a preserve the a restore. Some of the 6x6 oak has cracked and twisted enough to bend the carriage bolts holding it together. Most of the oak dowels holding it tight were bent like bananas. Real buggers to drive out. here are some photos to so what a quick sanding and a coat of golden oak stain can do. If i was 2 weeks ahead on this project I would be on time for a cider pressing. Oh well next year
This photo shows a coat of Tung oil over the stain.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

ChipR

Postby ChipR » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:28 am

Tung oil! That brings back memories of my youth. Tung trees supposedly grow only along the 30th degree latitude. A young lady in my school almost died from eating a Tung fruit, her family moved to Tallahassee from the North and thought she was eating an orange. Eventually warning signs were posted along highway warning against eating the things.

ChipR

Nev

Postby Nev » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:08 am

A tractor for the thread.
Nev.
Attachments
12903-p00001-000178-060.jpg
12903-p00001-000178-060.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:19 pm

A couple of vintage ads for Waterloo:

First company to manufacture and sell a gasoline-engined tractor. In 1918 the company was acquired by Deere & Company and was renamed the John Deere Tractor Company.

I've been buying Waterloo's for years.

Healey

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Ever been to Waterloo, Healey? Or anywhere is Iowa for that matter? If you were wearin' a Mack, Kenworth, or Peterbuilt hat or belt buckle, you couldn't get the time of day. Had to be Green and Yellow to get a response! :lol:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Nope, Mitch, never been to Iowa. I once drove up through Oklahoma and a corner of Kansas on my way from Austin, Texas to Denver, Colorado, back in the Seventies. Somehow missed Iowa on the way back to the east coast.

This Waterloo thing was unknown to me. I never realized Deere acquired their tractor business rather than developed it from the ground up. It's interesting...

Healey

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Moline is in there too. (Ah, wait a minute, I think that's Illinois). Still, Ill. is another big JD state.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Mitch wrote:Ever been to Waterloo, Healey? Or anywhere is Iowa for that matter? If you were wearin' a Mack, Kenworth, or Peterbuilt hat or belt buckle, you couldn't get the time of day. Had to be Green and Yellow to get a response! :lol:

Now I like that. A town should support its industries. Good for Waterloo. :D :D :D
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Nev wrote:A tractor for the thread.
Nev.

Nev,
This looks as if it is on a dock.?
What is it used for?It could be a nice scratch build or kit bash for someone that can do it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:29 am

Port Huron #19:

A cab built for winter operations? I've been thinking about driving up to Michigan this summer...I hear it's nice the further north you go (in summer).

Healey

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:50 am

From the archives:

Thread fade... :(

Healey

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 am

Frick from Waynesboro, Pa :mrgreen:

I just happen to have the large case clock that used to be their master time clock - on the wall in my office.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”