Northern weather

Play nice and have fun...
v8vega

Re: Northern weather

Postby v8vega » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 pm

After years and years of drought this January seems like the rainest ever. We just had a big 4 day rainstorm, yesterday in particular.Just poured at times and pretty heavy all night and day.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:34 pm

v8vega wrote:After years and years of drought this January seems like the rainest ever. We just had a big 4 day rainstorm, yesterday in particular.Just poured at times and pretty heavy all night and day.

I hope ever reservoir and capture possible of rain there was in full working order so CA can actually get out form under that drought - of course, now all we'll hear about are mud slides. I do understand that there are some nice days and weather in CA.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm

We have been warm with rain and now the nights are full of frog noises.
Back into upper 40s tonight so that will stop.
Still like that better than snow and ice and freezing weather.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Last winter was pretty easy on us here in western Pa. Not too much snow and ice at all, and just one really cold snap in early December. (I'm speaking of 2015). The combined winter of '16/17 so far has also been very mild. Down at Freeport Terminals, Inc., there is an asphalt pad of a minimum acre and a half, possibly two acres, for road salt storage. All summer they get 5 to 8 covered hoppers at a time, sometimes twice each week. The railcars are on a siding and the air is bled off, and they are pulled ahead by a bucket loader. The hoppers get dumped into a screw that goes over and up into a small tower, and then dumped into tri-axle dump trucks that take it down into the terminal, climb the pile, and dump it. When fully loaded and tarped with umpteen black tarps, weighted with used tires, it is a small mountain of road salt. It's like 2 acres, 40' high, and every municipality within a 20 mile radius and PennDot all get their road salt here. This past spring, at least 2/3s of the pile was still left, 'cause last year was pretty easy. They've hauled out quite a bit so far this year, but I've been watchin' and they've been replenishing it at the same time. Reason being, the price of bulk road salt came down about $6.00 a ton. Ain't sayin' that Feb. and March will be a cake walk, but we're pretty well prepared around here. It's been rainin' here for 3 days with more to come. Sure beats shovelin' snow! :lol:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:39 am

Mitch wrote: Ain't sayin' that Feb. and March will be a cake walk, but we're pretty well prepared around here. It's been rainin' here for 3 days with more to come. Sure beats shovelin' snow! :lol:

That rain just soaks into everything and once I'm out in it and wet it seems very hard to get that cold out of my system.

Snow doesn't seem to bother me in the same way.

But, I freely admit that not shoveling any yet is worth celebrating.

Feb & March are still to come.........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Mitch wrote: Ain't sayin' that Feb. and March will be a cake walk, but we're pretty well prepared around here. It's been rainin' here for 3 days with more to come. Sure beats shovelin' snow! :lol:

That rain just soaks into everything and once I'm out in it and wet it seems very hard to get that cold out of my system.

Snow doesn't seem to bother me in the same way.

But, I freely admit that not shoveling any yet is worth celebrating.

Feb & March are still to come.........

"Sure beats shoveling snow" and "not shoveling any yet" are sentiments well worth celebration.

We haven't had even so much as a noteworthy whiff of it here in northern nj and that's really worth a cheer.

People drop dead during and after such suddenly vigorous physical activity: (1) we had a 50 year old gentleman neighbor drop dead in the snow as he began cranking-up his snow blower and humping it up his sloped driveway; his wife didn't even know he had died until he was found stiff and cold in a mound of snow quite a while later; (2) an elderly lady neighbor died at her kitchen table while she warmed herself with a cup of tea after shoveling her driveway .

It scaresthehell outa me. Being out there in the killer-snow feels like I'm a character in a scene in The Revenant, waiting to be found beat-up in a semi-grave of snow, detritus and dirt, where I've collapsed after the rampant deer and sniffing , snorting bears and marauding coyotes have kicked-the-shite outa me.
(Too dramatic?) :roll: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:58 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Too dramatic?

Yeah.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:49 pm

The other way here. We have pollen all over stuff already. :x
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:20 pm

For a very brief period today a large bal of fire appeared in the sky, and then everything went back to totally dreary.....

I should have gone out and refilled the firewood boxes when I had the chance.....

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Rufus, one thing about havin' a woodburner or a working fireplace, is that it feels so good when you've been soaked and chilled to the bone, to just pull a chair up close with a hot cup of your favorite beverage, and soak up the warmth. Then suddenly you'll get one of those single chills that blast through you, starting at your head and working its way down to your feet. They only last a second or two, then ya can get back to warmin' up. I call those sudden shaky chills "the willies". :lol:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Mitch wrote:Rufus, one thing about havin' a woodburner or a working fireplace, is that it feels so good when you've been soaked and chilled to the bone, to just pull a chair up close with a hot cup of your favorite beverage, and soak up the warmth. Then suddenly you'll get one of those single chills that blast through you, starting at your head and working its way down to your feet. They only last a second or two, then ya can get back to warmin' up. I call those sudden shaky chills "the willies". :lol:

I know that effect very well and it's one of the reasons I keep burning wood and have a wood pile out back; takes the chill right out of your bones!

Really good for the cold winter rains!

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:46 am

Speaking of cold winter days: it's 39F here in Torrance of Sunny So. Cal. WTF??
By the way-because of all the recent rain we've had, we're now officially in a "wet drought." :!:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

rex desilets wrote: a "wet drought."

Very CA.

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 am

The last several years of snow here in Nebraska has been the super moist and dense heartattack variety. No Fluffy stuff but it melts fast.

Mr. Rex you live in Torrance? I had a lot of fun there in the late 80's early 90's. Used to live at Hollywood park backside, cheap rent,

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rex desilets wrote: a "wet drought."

Very CA.
Yes.
You may be unaware of the misuse of language here in the Peoples' Republic, but so long as there's a drought, certain mandates are in place and enforced.
Except in Bel Aire
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”