Time for Church

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Time for Church

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:35 pm

healey36 wrote:Would be interesting to know the architectural history of ornate brick-work as seen on that church. We have quite a bit of it here in Westminster which was settled primarily by English and Scotch.

Presbyterians?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Doubtful...one of the buildings here in town with some fabulous brick cornice-work has some suspect social-standing history. Now Methodists, maybe. :D

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:35 pm

There are similar churches throughout Ohio.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Just for Roger -- Trinity Reformed Church, Waynesboro, PA

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 pm

I like it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:19 am

rogruth wrote:I like it.

Would not like to be one of the lads painting that high trim work....

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am

I've posted this pic before. This is Brick Chapel located a couple of miles from New Windsor MD not too far from the old main line of the Western Maryland RR. A few years back the church was closed and the congregants, just 24 remaining, merged into another church in Westminster. The property was put up for sale with the hope that another group would acquire it and continue its long church history.

Word comes now that no such buyer could be found and that the property is to be sold to a guy who will use it as the base of operations for his home construction business. Obviously folks are distressed by this, especially those with family and forebears buried in the adjacent churchyard.

Much like the old timber-barns, these country churches are disappearing or falling into disrepair at an accelerating rate. I guess it plays into this country's rapidly changing demographic and the constant need to reinvent itself, but it's painful...

Healey

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 am

healey36 wrote:Word comes now that no such buyer could be found and that the property is to be sold to a guy who will use it as the base of operations for his home construction business. Obviously folks are distressed by this, especially those with family and forebears buried in the adjacent churchyard.

Generally, some sort of deal can be made to preserve graveyards particularly if there is any hint of historical connection.

Much like the old timber-barns, these country churches are disappearing or falling into disrepair at an accelerating rate. I guess it plays into this country's rapidly changing demographic and the constant need to reinvent itself, but it's painful...

Maybe. I see signs all over PA now "We buy barns..." so they are getting recycled and salvaged. But, farming is not something that folks are flocking to for their career futures.

On churches, I know of several where the numbers in the congregations are dropping rapidly below sustainable. But, several of these are Methodist churches and they are owned by the Nat'l organization - they just let them sit....

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 am

Church at Syvania, Pa

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:...
On churches, I know of several where the numbers in the congregations are dropping rapidly below sustainable. But, several of these are Methodist churches ....

And some other denominations, as well. Throughout the USA? I have no idea. Throughout the world? I only know, from a trusted first-hand source, that in Italy (no less!) some Roman Catholic churches have been combined, with pastors serving (celebrating Mass and hearing Confessions, for example) two or even three churches each day.
In our community, here in the Northeast, a small Methodist church closed, due to a gradual loss of parishioners. The building was leveled for something other. Many of us, though of different religions, were sorry to see this happen.

I have no convincing idea why this seems to be happening.
Does anybody?
Murph

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:00 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:The building was leveled for something other.

The land plus the future development was probably worth a lot more than the building........a tear-down.

It's generational and the younger ones are disillusioned with organized religion and see that structured authority as something unnecessary?

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:It's generational and the younger ones are disillusioned with organized religion and see that structured authority as something unnecessary?

As usual, you said this much better than I would have.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:It's generational and the younger ones are disillusioned with organized religion and see that structured authority as something unnecessary?

Totally agree. The younger crowd gets their religion from the internet. Almost anything that requires financial-backing (excluding the cell-phone) is cast aside. Car/health/life insurance...they don't need that, they're young and will live forever. Subscribe to a newspaper or magazine...they can get that for free on the web. Buy a car, house, furniture...what, are you nuts... Work for a few years before you expect to make vice-president...who are you kidding.

This world is going to look very different in fifty years and I'm glad I won't be here to see it.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:The building was leveled for something other.

The land plus the future development was probably worth a lot more than the building........a tear-down.

It's generational and the younger ones are disillusioned with organized religion and see that structured authority as something unnecessary?

Yes, some just don't seem convinced.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 pm

healey36 wrote:

Totally agree. The younger crowd gets their religion from the internet. Almost anything that requires financial-backing (excluding the cell-phone) is cast aside. Car/health/life insurance...they don't need that, they're young and will live forever. Subscribe to a newspaper or magazine...they can get that for free on the web. Buy a car, house, furniture...what, are you nuts... Work for a few years before you expect to make vice-president...who are you kidding.

This world is going to look very different in fifty years ....

And it is well on its road there, isn't it.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”